Sunday, November 18, 2012

After the Open Studio Tour

Couldn't post during the tour, no WIFI. Had a great time painting and talking to the tour patrons and the fellow artists sharing the lobby of the Shenandoah University Theater.

"Arts Council Sour Grapes", Steven J Parrish, 12" x 9", Oil on Linen, SOLD



















I started this painting Saturday morning and battled sunlight coming in the windows all day. I moved the lemon slice 3 times and finally got a group decision that this was the best composition.Near the end of the day as the sun set and my spotlight finally gave me the highlights I expected I got some great suggestions from tour goers about the reflections in the Ball jar. I wiped off the middle lemon and called it a day. Sunday morning I managed to block the sunlight enough to finish the painting at about 11:30 AM. I remembered to bring some Cadmium Yellow to re-paint the lemon. Amazingly enough you can't paint a lemon with just Cadmium Lemon. My fellow artists and visitors declared victory and told me I was finished. I agreed, I really like the loose brush work and the exposed canvas, this is one of those paintings you can ruin by over working. The title of this painting was also a group decision and is really about the colors and in no way represented our mood or opinion of the tour. We had a real blast talking art and life for the two days. Just need to sign, mount, frame and deliver. As always I am truly humbled when someone appreciates one my paintings enough to add it to their collection.

Me hard at work in front of some of my other paintings.














"Cookie"s Boxes", Steven J Parrish, 10' x 8", Oil on Linen, UNFINISHED



















I started this painting on Sunday at about 12:30 PM and managed to get it this far along when the tour ended at 5 PM. The two lavender colored boxes I borrowed from Cookie Robb the stained glass artist setup next to me. The color of these two boxes really went well with the background and the lemon. I hope to finish this painting in the next week or two.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Nice and fine arts, motivate and celestial. Too much impressive art sketch. Nice sharing and creative blog.