Sunday, August 05, 2012

Painting Challenge Day 4 or 5

Setup



















This was my setup for day 4 or 5. Depending on how you keep score, this was my fourth challenge setup, but I was just too worn out to paint the fourth day. So this painting was painted after a one day break. For all you artists out there that can create art for 12 hours a day, every day, I tip my plein air painting hat to you.

This setup interested me for several reasons, the rust, shine, color, and the construction. You can see the clip I had to use to keep the setup from toppling over. I asked my family on Facebook to guess the title of this painting the day I painted it. "Three cups balanced on a 2x4 in a rusty clamp" made me laugh but was incorrect. The title is in the caption of the end of the day image below.

Early afternoon break



















I worked for many hours before I took my first break on this painting. I don't have a photo from early in the process but it was pretty dark and I had some drawing issues that were fixed by the time I took this photo. The canvas is covered and the drawing looks about right, the top cup is too large and needs to be corrected.

"C cups", Steven J Parrish, Oil on Linen, 10x8



















Finished late in the evening, this is the least finished of the paintings in the challenge. The turquoise cup just had too much paint to finish. I couldn't lay the highlights on or get the reflections in. Will get another days work for sure. Other than that I like the way it is here. I really like the duct tape on the C clamp and the red cup. I believe this is my first painting of a scrap piece of a 2x4. They're kind of boring, but just what I needed to add some interest to the setup.

I am the first to admit I am not a daily painter and my intention with this challenge was to force me to paint still lifes the way I paint plein air landscapes. A sense of urgency and limited time. I used the approach I use for outdoor painting, quick thin lay in, cover canvas early, mix accurate colors, and paint as fast as you can under control. I really enjoyed it, can't wait to see what happens when I start my next large still life.

Thank you for following along, I hope everyone found it interesting, I know I did.

2 comments:

Clipping Path said...

Nice drawing. Both are same here. You are an expert on blogging and you really an expert artist.

northierthanthou said...

Cool concept