Monday, January 14, 2008


"Pickled Pear", Steven J. Parrish, Oil on Linen, 22" x 16"

Critique my latest painting.

We do not normally post images of unfinished paintings, but I thought I would try it with this one. This is the painting I have been working on for the Oil Painters of America National Competition. I need to submit it in the next week or two, please feel free to critique this painting and make any suggestions that you feel would be an improvement. This is the level of finish that I have reached when I say a painting is in the review process. The painting moves from the studio into a room in our house with more representative lighting conditions, and varying viewing distances. Linda and I then discuss any changes or improvements that need to be made.

Steven


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Pickled Pear" by Steven. Overall this is a good painting and I like it! I hate critics and always leave the final results up to the individual artist. However, art competitions usually have "judges" who will pick on your compositions. Here, perhaps a little too "static", with subject placed too much into "center". Then perhaps the subject being made larger, and placed more to the left. Sell this one for some big bucks and make another to "please" the judges! Thank you for your site, good luck, and keep up the good work. Thee Art Gallery at weddellart.com by Monty Ousley Weddell.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments, I evaluated the composition for a long time, and debated the relative centering. I did submit it to the show, and haven't heard back yet. Steven